Saturday, June 18, 2016

Spontaneous combustion

I'm on the run between a Dharma retreat, cooking several meals for the Bhutanese lama leading it, and a panel discussion on Himalayan food for the Museum of Food and Drink. But I still run to the farmers' market. No guarantee what I'll find so no preconceived ideas. Just serendipity. Hopefully anyway.

this week I found a small cauliflower, the last and least in the basket, and a magnificent bunch of red beets. I immediately sauteed the beet greens with fenugreek, garlic and ginger, salt and pepper. I roasted the beets, realized I had some sour cream in the fridge and thought: borscht! Why not. I have all the ingredients at hand: butter to sauté an onion and tsp of dill seed, a grated large carrot, grated cooked beets, a dab of tomato paste, salt, pepper, a tsp of vinegar and vegetable broth. Twenty minutes later, a tbsp of fresh lemon juice and into the bowl with a dollop of that sour cream, a sprinkling of freshly chopped chives.  Hot and hearty.


I could've pureed the borsch to drink it cold from a tall glass. But the weather wasn't right.

I roasted that cauliflower head whole at 450º with olive oil and salt. Had the bright idea to use up sagging parsley by making chimichurri--parsley, vinegar, garlic, crushed chili flakes, salt and pepper plus enough olive oil to  make it a sauce. Painted the cauliflower with the chimichurri for a very colorful and tasty dish.

Quick, easy spontaneous combustion.  May everyone all eat and be well.
Back soon with recipes for a Bhutanese lama.

No comments:

Post a Comment